MEA is proud to launch the very first kid-owned cooperative business. The cooperative will be owned and operated by children that are a part of the program. The first business that the cooperative will develop is Sweet Cups Lemonade! Using the lemonade stand business model, children will learn how to build a business from the ground up. The cooperative will be governed by the MEA Board of Directors and will also have an advisory board comprised of parents and members of the community.
The cooperative aims to achieve the following goals:
- Teach children how to start and run a real business
- Allow them to move through the different stages and areas of a business at their own pace
- Reinforce and/or develop foundational reading, math and critical thinking skills
- Teach teamwork and conflict management
- Develop them into future community and business leaders
- Allow children to earn money and teach them personal fiscal responsibility